Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bugs Lightyear in my House!!

Introducing...

BUGS LIGHTYEAR!!


Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Class: Insecta

Infraclass: Neoptera

Superorder: Endopterygota

Order: Coleoptera

Suborder: Polyphaga

Infraorder: Elateriformia

Superfamily: Elateroidea

Family: Lampyridae
Latreille, 1817

Ok, I shall not bore you with scientific names... these lightning bugs is better known as Fireflies or Kelip-kelip or ying huo chong or glowworms...

I found one outside my house among the grass beside my dog cage near a Christmas tree...

I'm serious, my house is not at Kuala Selangor for your info, my house is situated in the middle of KL. I couldn't believe it too so I asked my brother to have a look at it. After capturing it and showing it to my dad and all, we finally made a decision to let go off it for the sake that hoping it will produce more...Produce more!produce more!

Anyway, I still didn't believe in what we saw, I went doing online research. Says Wikipedia.org, Fireflies tend to be brown and soft-bodied... yes, it was... Most diurnal species are non-luminescent, though some species that remain in shadowy areas can produce light energy. Yes, it has faint and blinking light though sometimes stronger... A few days after mating, a female lays her fertilized eggs on or just below the surface of the ground... The firefly was among the grass, does that mean she's searching for a place to lay her eggs???

the common European glowworm, in which only the non-flying adult females glow brightly and the flying males glow only very weakly and intermittently...means she's a male?? I mean I might be wrong, who knows what I saw was actually the brightest? She must be a female...even if she's a male, I will insist she's a she...she has to lay eggs and make my house a kelip-kelip garden =) They emerge in the spring...Is my housing area now spring time? @.@ After several weeks of feeding, they pupate for 1 to 2.5 weeks and emerge as adults...wow! I'm so excited!! My house is going to become a Kelip-kelip Garden in 1 to 2.5 weeks' time!!

Light production in fireflies is due to a type of chemical reaction called bioluminescence...hmmm just for extra knowledge..need to know more bout fireflies so I can make them to produce more... Females of the Photinus genus generally do not fly, but do give a flash response to males of their own species...yes, it did not fly AT ALL..means confirm it's a SHE!! She gave flash to males? Means there's male fireflies around??!!!

Last but not least...
There are more than 2,000 species of firefly found in temperate and tropical environments around the world...tropical, in futher research means, tropical ecosystems may consist of rainforests, dry deciduous forests, spiny forests, desert and other habitat types...so which one I'm staying in? Rainforest? Spiny forest? Many species can be found in marshes or in wet, wooded areas where their larvae have abundant sources of food...abundant sources of food...I wonder what...my dog's yummy...food? saliva?!

Oh ya, I'll inform you when my Kelip-kelip Garden is ready. Entrance fees shall be charged, not too expensive and quite reasonable... RM2 per entry. Same price as Kuala Selangor (my main competitor) and the good thing is KL-ians don't have to travel too far! I repeat, my house is located right in the very middle of KL, so whichever part of KL you're at, it's NEAR!!!

Can't wait right? Be patient...just 1 to 2.5 weeks away ;)


p.s.: the pictures were taken from internet, the photos and videos I took was with my handphone. And I don't have the cable to transfer it but anyway, you wouldn't get to see anything cause just now was too dark...my handphone is a cheap phone so can't do much with the firefly :(

2 comments:

yangyang said...

like what i said...your house is getting suitable for old folds...even firefly goes to ur house leh~~~hahaha

bobo said...

but i think it died already.. :(