Monday, April 13, 2009

What A Birthday!!

This was my most extraordinary birthday ever
Because on that day I spent most of my time preparing my Advertising Campaign and spent half a day in class, presenting and listening to other groups and a few things happened in a day which left me with a mixture of all kinds of feelings…

Exhausted:
I stayed awake ALL night and I know it’s very rare of me; usually I’ll rather sleep than to finish my assignment even though the due date is at 5pm the next day and I only completed 10% (that is why I always have late submission…); but this time, I didn’t sleep at all in order to complete my ad campaign designsss, reportsss and also grammar checking and compilation… The assignment ended up with 120 pages. The most ever… I think we can even sell it as a text book.

Frustrated:
At 4am I only started checking my group mates’ report (no choice cause I was the leader and have to ensure all reports were well written), and only found out that ALL her reports were quite off track. That was the time I began to panick but thank god Stephanie and another group mate shared my burden and stress together. They too stayed awake all night… rewriting her reports and also rechecking what were left out. Apparently, there were quite a few left out and they have to do it while I rushed for my design. The situation was bad until I nearly cried and gave up the entire project. It was my worst ever project as I had NEVER felt so stress, so frustrated, so panicking and so unconfident. When I’ve decided to share this burden with Stephanie together, she went nuts half way and was quite pissed off when she heard about it. On the other hand, another group mate asked me, “Do you think we can finish it?” I know we only have 7 hours to presentation and we haven’t finished our reports, designs, compile everything, printing, prepare what to presentation and also our slides. We didn’t even have time to double check our work. I didn’t have a certain answer either and I was really panicked and worried too, but being a leader I have to convince myself first even though the chances of finishing was 50-50. I told her, “Can one… we try… we work as a team…”

Panicked:
At 1.20pm, our group was the second group. First group had already started presenting and what was our group doing? My group mates were still rushing their slides and thinking of what to present. Half an hour passed, the first group was presenting their conclusion and I thought we were done with our slide. But when I check the slide, some of the things were missing. How long does a conclusion takes? Less than 5 minutes? And our slide is not ready? My hand was trembling while quickly typing in some of the points and rearranging the entire slide. They finished their conclusion but we’re not done yet. Everyone applause but they stop the applause saying that that was their first plan; they have a back up plan. I was relieved a bit but was still rushing off the slides and by the time they really finished, I did not have the time to double check the slides.

Upset:
When we started to present not long, my lecturer began to throw questions at us that we couldn’t answer as we intentionally present our lousier plan B first and so, we didn’t went into details, we couldn’t answer most of her questions. We were left there like a bunch of fools. Then when it was Stephanie’s turn, the whole thing went chaos. We noticed the slides wasn’t the latest slides and therefore the arrangement was wrong, some of the content was wrong, there was typo errors etc etc that I just have to stop the presentation before it is too late (my lecturer wasn’t tired of shaking her head when it comes to my group) and went back to search for the edited slides and repeated the presentation. Already said it was plan B and therefore we were supposed to just go through it briefly. I really mean briefly since my lecturer already shown signs of impatience. But one of my group mates went really into details until the lecturer seemed so bored and I thought she wanted to stop our presentation so much. I was having a heart attack at a side listening to her long and torturing presentation and seeing the lecturer’s expression, I said to myself, “there goes my ad campaign…” After dunno how many torturing minutes (probably 10 mins), another group mate was indeed fast but it wasn’t the original concept we discussed. She changed pretty much of the concept into her own concept and I told myself, “There goes my plan B…”

Disappointed:
I told myself, there goes my biggest birthday present even though I managed to pull it off for my part. But the entire marketing plan went so wrong. Additional to that, the rest of the groups were far better than ours. But as a leader, I should not pin point at any group mates. We work as a team and I knew I had to hide my sadness and disappointment.

Surprised:
After all groups’ presentation, everyone was ready to leave and go home but Yang announced that there’s another presentation and that stop everyone from going back. It was a final presentation on “Effective Ways to celebrate Evon Chong’s Birthday”.

Touched:
I cried toward the end of the video knowing everyone was so busy with their assignments; they still spent time on this meaningful video. Everyone had their thoughts on me and why they can’t live without me… It was indeed a final presentation as that class was my very last class in UCSI. And I will no longer be going to college and by next year I probably will lose contact with some of them and so this video I treated it as a farewell video…

Relieved:
When asked my lecturer for her opinion toward our campaign, she told me that she knew who did most of the job and who did not. In the end, she told me, “Evon, don’t worry, you’re safe.” Besides the video, this should be my second greatest present.

Happy:
Ms Lina called me and wished me Happy Birthday. She even asked how I will celebrate my birthday. Hehehe…


There you have it. Extraordinary right? I figure out the reason I cried so hard after watching the video. Cause I really had a very tiring day, mentally and physically, and never expected anyone will remember my birthday or do anything for me. And it’s a combination of surprised, touched, happy and relieved.

Thank you so much to all those who were involved in the video, I watched it for 3 times already and I don’t think I’ll ever get bored with it…
Thank you so much to my group members, especially Stephanie and Siew Lee who worked hard together with me. Poor thing, Siew Lee even asked me, “Evon, can I rest a while? My head really painful…” Without you guys our group will be dead! Our work should be alright ;) Will pray hard on it…
Thank you so much to those who helped me in my Ad Campaign when I was in desperate moments. You know who you are ;)

Will never forget such a birthday…

5 comments:

said...

Fuiseh! :D

bobo said...

wt?

yangyang said...

haha....u can write "a special day"..hahaha

Ah Loong is Watching... said...

bobo, is this your academy award speech? Punyalah panjang.... hahhaha...

bobo said...

coz lots of things happened in a day hehehe