Monday, July 13, 2009

The ABC DVD

Kaden bought a supposed-to-be "ABC" DVD and we were forced to watch with him as usual...

The DVD started off singing "A for apple, A...A,A,A! B for ball, B...B,B,B!" and it repeated twice for each songs. After the first ABC song, the cartoon character which is a boy, driving a car and banging into the wall. After a pitch black for one or two seconds, came the next song. I wonder if kids will ever imitate this action.

"English is important and that is why we need to learn simple English", but what I've heard later on was, "预言是 prophecy...prophecy,prophecy,prophecy!; 诗是poem...poem,poem,poem!; 诗歌是 poetry...poetry,poetry,poetry!; 散文是 prose...prose,prose,prose!" My brother and I both exchanged looks and I asked him if he ever knew what prophecy and prose is, he shook his head with a blank look. No wonder Kaden was no longer interested in the DVD and he was more interested in gameboy instead of 'simple' English...

It got worse when again teaching on basic English. The boy drove (again) to a fast food restaurant which looks like McDonalds and the title appears "Fast Food". "汉堡包是 hamburger...hamburger,hamburger,hamburger!" The parents will be cursing the DVD maker if their kids were to bug them all the time with "hamburger,hamburger,hamburger!"

Then, the English lesson continues to "Junk Food" with "cakes", "biscuits" etc. Last but not least, the most ridiculous thing is to have a song lyric with "我醉了几遍,我醉了几遍~" (I was drunken a few times, I was drunken a few times~) My yipo couldn't believe at first, but after she heard it (cause surely will repeat again...) she was speechless too.

Can you imagine, each song repeating twice, and I can say those are not songs, they are more like rapping... but my brother and I were hooked to the TV and criticising it all the way... ><

And I think it is important to take extra notice in what you are buying for kids :)

1 comment:

adore said...

Haha, the world is so competitive that they try to teach children with difficult vocabs, as if they are ever going to use it.

Maybe the person who made it is very related to the news around so he tries to put in religion, war, current issues to kids in another way(which makes me feel so disgusted. I mean, Kids are meant to be pure and innocent, they should be free from all these!!!)

And indeed, parents nowadays filter a lot before deciding which edu DVD to buy(I'm one of them). I think it is good to know which is suitable for children before buying it... You wouldn't want to end up letting your children watchin Happy Tree Friends right..
In fact there's so many issues on buying stuff for kids. As an aunty, I heard of so many dangerous, over-colouring food and toys so whenever I buy stuff for Enzo, I am very cautious towards these. And the biggest dilemma is whether he will like the toy when you buy like really costly punya for him. I've learnt. Enzo always like cheap stuff so now I buy more books than toys already ;)