Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Green Buddies

Dentsu Utama has this little CSR program called the Green Buddies that help save the environment and it really reminds me that I should start doing more about it too...

One of the few things I learned from them:
1. In a restaurant, ask the waiter to keep away all unnecessary cutleries/ dishes so that they will not have to waste water in washing additional stuff. Also, the minimum you can do is, don't waste food, at least finish your drinks.
2. Set a recycling corner at home and practice recycling.
3. Switch off electricity at the powerpoint whenever not in use and if can, unplug appliances too. The plug can drain up to an additional 10% of your
actual electricity usage even if it's on stand by.
4. At hotel, decline housekeeping if you do not need your room to be cleaned so often. Save the water in washing clean bedsheets etc.
5. Aluminium cans is easier to be recycled compared to plastic bottles. Hence, use more aluminium items instead of plastic.

This is what I've always been doing:
1. Avoid using plastic bags when shopping. I always bring my bag along so that I can store my shopping stuffs inside.
2. Reuse plastic bags. There's a whole bunch of plastic bags in my house as I hardly throw them away.
3. Reuse papers. Some papers were still left with ample space will be thrown into a box for further usage like printing. And some of the papers will be used for my notes.
4. Reuse bottles. Even though plastic bottles are discouraged to use, but somehow and unavoidably, there will be plastic bottles in my house and so, reuse it. But my family use our own bottles (except for my dad... I should buy him one too) which can last for years, more environmental friendly and is safer for health.
5. Never litter especially in public places like park. When you litter, everyone will follow; the place become dirty, it affects the ecology and people need to use more electricity and water to clean it.
6. Off unnecessary electricity.And I do scold my family members for not doing so.

There are lots more that we can do. If these few little things are done by each individual times 28 million times 365 days in Malaysia, definitely we can make a difference to the world in no time.

Hope this little blog can remind you of your part too! :)

No comments: