Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Know Nuts About Marketing Communications!!!

I finally get to eat with SOMEBODY today during lunch break. But little did I know the happy feeling turned into the guilt and doubtful feeling...

'Evon, what do you learn in your college?' Good question!
'Have you ever taken Strategy & Planning this subject?' Pardon?
This was the colleague who asked me to be initiative and ask people out for lunch and today I ate with her. A total of 1 hour and 15 minutes of pressure.

Me: "Who's Omar?"
Her: "You don't know who is Omar?" With surprised tone.
Me: "No..."
Her: "I know you're new, but this is not an excuse for you not to know the people around you. If you were in another company not knowing who your CEO is, you will be scolded, and I'm serious about this. You should start asking people around you more about this company..."
Me: "OH...................................................."

Her: "Do you know there's someone who even asked Omar what is Dentsu's working hours? Do you know who the person is?"
Me: (thinking deep inside... this question is so familiar. I asked this during the first meeting with my supervisor) "NO!"
Her: "There's someone who asked him... I can't remember..."
Me: (Is she testing me? Can she not think who that person is?)
Her: "You know, it's a funny question to ask. In advertising field, we don't have a so-called 'working hours'"
Me: *nodding my head thoughtfully* Did she know something...
Speaking of working hours, so I stupidly asked...

Me: "So, usually all of you work OT until what time?" Seeing that most of them work till night time.
Her: "We don't OT. We just work. There's no working hours in advertising. Do you know that, Evon?" I hate when she asked, do I know this, know that. Obviously I know nuts!!!
Me: "Oh, I mean, what time do you usually go back?"
Her: "It's just like events, there isn't a specific time for you to work... you get what I mean?" She knows I'm into events.
Me: "Yea..............................."
To avoid awkward silence, I stupidly asked again...

Me: "So, where did you work previously?" Knowing that she is also new.
Her: "I've worked for Sachi for 4 years before coming here. I had an account handled by myself and some Account Execs working under me. Dentsu all knows about it. And Dentsu is my 4th company..." She does have some high portfolio I must say. Seeing the way she sees things, her experiences in advertising agencies.
Her: "I used to work for Astro, but I rejected... with personal reason." and the way she talks to my supervisor. It's like, "Not now..." or "I can't handle this now..." or "I have something else to handle..." without further entertainment. "I got to go to the loo. Do you need to?" If my English is slightly bad, I wouldn't have understand her English. I guess she has the quality to behave the way she is.
Me: "Oh... Where is Sachi?" I honestly know Sachi. I heard Yang saying it before but just didn't know where Sachi is located.
Her: "You don't really know about Advertising Agency, don't you?"
Me: *shook my head slowly*
Her: "You see, even if you're into events, you need to know all this. It's really important. Probably next time when you're having an event, you need to know which agency that you can work with. There's something you can start doing right now. Is to do more research. Research about advertising agencies, event companies..."
Me: *stare at her blankly* I was really speechless.
Her: "Don't be afraid... I'm not scaring you. That's work! You need to be prepared."
Me: *nodding my head as if I was listening to some rock music*

Her: "Just to let you know, there's favoritism in advertising. Ashraf has good PR skill which he can deal well with the clients... but I'm different. I don't like PR and I don't need them."
Me: "As in he will do according to clients' requests?" Evon, can you ask something smarter? You know what is S.M.A.R.T?
Her: "Evon, do you know what PR is?"
Me: *Eyes big* (Do I know what PR is??!! This is an insult!!!) "Errr... yes? He has good relation with clients?"
Her: "Ya. That doesn't mean he has to do whatever the clients want. That is dumb. I wouldn't do that."
Me: "OH............................................"

Her: "Well, let me buy you lunch since it's your first week."
Me: "Second." Just somehow feel like answering back.
Her: "Oh. Anything." And I paid the lunch because she has forgotten her purse.
Her: "Feel free to ask me anything!" And she smiled sincerely at me. That freaks me out! I swear I will not ask her stupid stuff again... that makes me a total idiot. And finally, lunch is OVER!

That lunch left me empty. Left me wondering the biggest question of all times: What have I learned throughout my 4 years' course? What do I know about advertising? What do I know about events? I guess I know nothing... I know nuts about Marketing Communications! Yes, I know nuts. Ask me about nuts. I know all kinds of nuts... peanuts, hazelnuts, walnut, coconut... you name it...

Not only she left me empty. She paid me back a RM5 notes and left FOURTEEN 50 cents on my table without saying a word and also left my wallet dead heavy... And after today's lunch, I've decide to eat lunch with me, myself and I ONLY :)

p.s. I realized there's really a lot of things that I should know by now. I don't want to be a 'noob'. So, I started doing research on events companies. But still feeling useless :(

6 comments:

Tuan King said...

You're still very new in this field,it's never too late to learn from now~

I know you can do even better in future~ Jia you ~ ^^

angeline_hui said...

akakaka....

but part of her is quite true...so just take the 'true' part seriously and just ignore her arrogant part.

bobo said...

yes..I know she's trying to give me advice..probably in a scarier tone..other than that I will ignore..hahaha...if not I will feel really down and upset :(

adore said...

hm.. i shouldn't meet this kind of people. piss my week off only.

if only she understands that some things are not ought to be taught but self-experience. i think she's a bit dumb in that sense.

hah. dumb.

yangyang said...

So you know why I prefer to have lunch alone ? hahaha...

bobo said...

HAHAHA..LYNN!!! u do read my blog!!
and I like ur comment!! She's dumb..hahahaha
yang, yea, now u know y i eat with u in front of d pc through msn..kakaka