Sunday, November 23, 2008

Life in Red...

Don't ask me why I posted so many blogs in a day's time..cause I'm addicted to blogging..anyway I found out that none of it mentioned bout my current working life..so here it goes:

I'm currently having internship in Red Communications, my supervisor is an executive producer, so far I have not seen her work but I'm really eager to know...she took me in the first place is to get involve in an independent movie entitled "Karaoke". And the director was quite well known- Chris Chung.

I was really looking forward to work with them, the moment I confirmed working with them, I wanted to start work immediately. I was so looking forward. Probably becasue the company is really new and beautiful. I like the interior design and the color.

The first week was qutie a disappointing one. I mourned for not having things to do and waited every day for the moment to come by, the moment I will get on board into the same boat as my supervisor and team. I was really eager to learn and experience what it is like being invovled in a production as my supervisor promised me that I will be involved from the pre-production which is the planning part til post production (other interns followed out for shooting already). And my timing was really just right. I thought I had better opportunity to learn things here rather than in MYC (my previous internship co), cause apparently my timing was not right during that time. Most of the projects were already handed by the interns who went in earlier.

Anyway, I made a few small mistakes during the first week. I was so disappointed with myself that I can't even handle small stuff, no wonder my supervisor didn't give me much things to do. All I did was to (btw, her name is Mona Lisa, LOL, nah, it's without the Lisa) photocopy documents, read the script, did some transcript (which they called it editing, sounded so nice), did some research and callings etc. Of course, I had fun in assisting the casting part, but it wasn't my supervisor's project. I helped out in the casting because she didn't have anything for me to do. How sad...

I went scouting location in the first day with Mona and I grabbed my opportunity to ask whatever I can. I get to know a bit more about her and she told me to be prepared for she had scared away a few previous interns. She didn't know why but all she knew was they were either lazy or they put themselves as high as director's position. But that didn't convince me. Later that day, 2 more of my colleagues told me it will be really challenging having to work under Mona. Ask me if I was afraid. My answer was not quite, but I found it rather challenging and interesting. I will want to work even harder.

Honestly, anything regarding work will come first. I can push away everything just for work. Someone called me up for a shooting on Sunday and I promised straight away. However it was cancelled and my supervisor told me to enjoy my weekends while I still can...

She was right. My waiting and hardwork finally paid off. I am officially on board. She had me involved in a meeting for this project and I had my first shooting last Tuesday. I kind of replaced Mona in the shooting though it was really a small and casual shooting. At least, I get to prepare props and the production box which I found out that other interns do not have the chance to prepare it. It seemed easy, but trust me, searching for props, and the entire wardrobe for talents' clothes wasn't easy at all, it's tiring!!

Despite all the bad comments, I found out that Mona was quite nice, having her to be quite caring for me. She iron the talents' clothes herself while she forced me to have my breakfast (reached office 7am that day...) and she wished me good luck! Chuak sai ah! haha... She even gave me RM100 to buy stuff for the shooting and I only spend around RM20.

The shooting went well (please refer to the post "My Very First"). Special thanks to the NGs. And I'll have my second shooting next Monday, this time again I am preparing the props and production box. I also get to secure the location. There was one even bigger task for me which is casting extras. Casting was never easy especially when you will need to deal with so many different people. And the sad thing is I only get to choose ah-peks and aunties who are 30 and above. If I'm looking for younger ones, they will need to have the 'kampung' look. Which is quite sad la, it was torturing that I don't get to pick the good looking ones...And out of 10 aunties, only 1 pick up their phone. Memang aunties, better off without phones...so hard to contact them!

Last but not least, I get to design the crew tags!! Special thanks to Yang for teaching me a bit of Photoshop (cause I gave back to the lecturer half of what I learned XD). I always wanted to practice back how to use Photoshop but nothing motivated for me to do so until that day... Finally, I'm quite familiar with it now. Even Yang also not as expert as me liao.. LOL!! And Mona like my design, well, at least she didn't complain or ask me to change anything. Will upload it once it's finalized.

Probably I am the 'backup system' for this project, as in I'll need to be ready to prepare anything for the 'war' anytime. Probably that was why she let Yang to do the editing for the shoot I went. I was at first quite depressed and upset with the decision. Cause I was so free last week and she told me there was nothing much for me to do, but she gave other intern who is not under her to do editing.

Don't worry Yang, I begin to enjoy my working life now. It's getting busier and busier and I even need to work on a Saturday till 6pm! And so far, Mona really treated me quite nice. I think the most caring among all the supervisors? She waited for me that day to finish work (I finished at 10 something, and she waited). It is also very kind of her to make sure I'm doing the right thing and I really want to thank her for trusting me. I might be her best ever intern?? (I'm thinking way too far...)

I'm content with what I am doing in Red now. I prefer this way as I can try many different things rather than just doing transcript or in charge of just one thing. I believe I can learn more things during the actual shooting. So wish me luck! I'll pray hard that the entire shooting will turn out to be great and I will not do any mistakes. I might fall in love with this industry. Or should I say I'm afraid I'll fall in love with Red? I'm a Mar Comm student and I'm supposed to be in love with events!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

btw, I met a friend of mine, Effa in the office and too bad, I didn't have the chance to even say hi to her. And apparently, Mr Patrick (my former lecturer) was quite famous in Red Comm. He used to work there I guess. And my boss' son is studying in UCSI, no wonder Red loves UCSI so much. They hired 3 of us at the same time...

to all other interns, hope u're enjoying ur work so far :)

argh!! My dad just informed me that I missed out a wedding buffet! Damn!!!

3 comments:

yangyang said...

That's good to hear that you stated to enjoy ur job! Or I will feel guilty...Your mona is really caring people lah!!! Haha...

said...

Wish you good luck :-) and btw, your situatuion is waaaaaay m uch more better than my 1st intern. You should be glad T_T

P/S: Put a chatbox la.
www.storyfromtree.blogspot.com

bobo said...

ya lor thanks for reminding, will put up a chatbox hehe..thanks for d comment!i dint know better than urs haha!